Saturday, January 25, 2014

Follow Me! (Or Friend Me.)



20 Day Blogging Challenge, Day 16:  Have you ever earned a grant?  What was it for?  Who was it from?  What tips can you offer?

If I go with that, it will make for a really short blog post. The answer is "no".  Next year will be my last year in the regular classroom, so it is probably not something I will pursue, so let's move on to Day 17.

20 Day Blogging Challenge, Day 17:  Share all of your professional social media contact information and links.  How do you engage in social media for professional learning?

Now this is something I can get into, because I am an avid social networker.

Facebook

It all started when I read an editorial in the newspaper about what a time waster Facebook is.  I knew I had to check that out right away. Within minutes I had signed up, and it was just a few more minutes before I had reconnected with a cousin and a friend who had moved across the country.  Initially I was connected only to friends and family on Facebook, and did not use it professionally.  More recently I am connecting to other educators and have joined groups like Educators Lounge and Technology and Learning.  I am Barbara Willits Day on Facebook.

Twitter

I first joined Twitter on April 20, 2009, and at first I just didn't get this following thing.  It seemed kind of like stalking.  Several months later, I took an on-line class about using technology in the classroom.  With the encouragement of my instructor, I began exploring Twitter again.  

I am not exaggerating when I say that Twitter has changed my life.  I have learned vast amounts, improved my teaching, made friends, many of whom I have since met face to face, and acquired a dog, all because of Twitter. I have participated in on-line conferences and gone to Edcamp, because of Twitter.

 I am not on Twitter as much as I used to be, but I participate in #4thchat every Monday evening from 7 to 8 pm central time.  This is an on-line discussion made up mostly of 4th grade teachers.  Each week focuses on a different topic.  If you are not into Twitter, check out some of the chats, because it is one of the easiest ways to connect with other educators.  Check out @Cybraryman's page for Twitter Chats, to find one that might be of interest to you.

I am @BarbaraDay on Twitter.

Plurk

I was very dedicated to Twitter, and then I became a Plurker.  I was introduced to Plurk by Lori Feldman.  I met Lori at Edcamp Omaha.  Plurk is part of my daily ritual.  The first thing I do each morning, and the last thing I do each night is touch base with my Plurk friends.  My friends on Plurk are educators, and we talk about education issues, but I find it much more personal than most of my Twitter connections.  I worry about them when they are sick or going through difficult times.  I rejoice with them when they experience happy times. They offer advice when I need it. 

I am BarbaraLN on Plurk.

Pinterest

I learn lots of things on Pinterest and just recently I wrote about how much I depend on this website.  

I am Barbara Day on Pinterest and here is a link to my 2,576 Pins.


Instagram

For four years I did a photo a day project.  Every day I took a photo, and posted it to my photo blog.  I haven't done much of that since I got started on Instagram.

I am BarbaraLN on Instagram.


Flickr

I use Flickr both personally and professionally.

I am BarbaraLN on Flickr.


Google+

I am Barbara Day on Google+ but I don't go there very often.


So let's connect! Follow me or friend me, and I would like to do the same.  Where can I find you?

No comments:

Post a Comment