Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fraction Bingo


We started working on fractions this week.  Once again I turned to my friend, Pinterest, for ideas.  I am gathering resources on this board, Fractions.  I liked the idea of creating a Fraction Bingo game, and I found this post from Primarily Speaking. Since my kids are older I decided to create a game that gave them more choices.


I created a board with figures divided into fractional parts.


They determined what fraction of the figure to color.  They cut out each square and glued it into a square on the BINGO board.  This way each student had a different board.



In order to make the game fair, I labeled a craft stick for each letter of the word Bingo.  


I also wrote each possible fraction on a square of cardstock.  Then I placed the sticks and fraction cards inside an empty oatmeal container.



It was easy to reach my hand in and pull out a stick and a fraction to call out.  I recorded the fraction called on a sheet of paper, so we could check accuracy.

Finally we tested the game by playing it.  The class gave me feedback as to what worked and what didn't.  Next time I will pull out all the fifths and sevenths, since I didn't have any on the game boards.

As we played, I realized that we can use this game again next week as we learn about equivalent fractions.  It will be easy to cover not only the fraction called, but equivalent fractions as well.

If you are interested in trying this game here is the Blank Fraction Board  and
here are the Fraction Bingo Pieces.  Please let me know if you have any difficulty accessing these.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Barbara. We are doing fractions this week and this will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara,
    Thanks for sharing your Bingo Fraction game. I will use it to review fractions and equivalent fractions before our state test which is in April. I hope my students make theirs look as good as the ones in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would surely give 10 on 10 for such incredible content.
    free bingo no deposit

    ReplyDelete