Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Classroom Wishlist



20 Day Blogging Challenge, Day 15:  What would be one or two items on your classroom wishlist?  Why?  How might you get this item?

Our students take the SRI (Scholastic Reading Inventory) and SMI (Scholastic Math Inventory) three times per year.  All students, grades 3 through 5 took the SRI during the week of January 6th.  When that happens, all classroom laptops are pulled from the classrooms and loaded onto a cart.  Then they are moved from room to room as each classroom takes this online test.

Last week we were between tests, and my principal let me keep the cart in my room all week.  That meant we were one to one with laptops.  We all loved it!  It was so nice to let everyone work on Spelling City or a blog post at the same time.  I wish we had enough laptops for everyone every week.  So that would be my wish: to be one to one with laptops.

Students are taking the SMI this week, so we are without even our usual laptops.  I shouldn't complain though, because my class has more equipment than any other room in the building.  We have  9 laptops and 11 iPads for 29 students. My principal has been very supportive of my interest in using technology with my kids.  That's just one more reason that I am so sad she is leaving next year.

There isn't really anything I can do to acquire a classroom set of laptops, but I could, from time to time, borrow iPads and laptops from other classrooms so we can all work on a project at the same time.  I need to do this once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment