Saturday, August 24, 2013

Schoolhouse Centennial



Our school is celebrating it's 100th anniversary this school year.  The original part of the school building was built in 1914.  There have been two additions since that time.



In recognition of 100 years, each child and staff member received a centennial t-shirt on the second day of school.  We all wore them to our beginning of year assembly.  Afterwards, we went outside and had our picture taken by a photographer from our school district.  What an awesome start to the school year!

Photo taken by Des Moines Public Schools

Our building was remodeled nine years ago.  At that time new windows, air conditioning, and an elevator were installed.  I was on the committee that planned the renovation, and we worked hard to maintain the integrity of the building.  I love the original woodwork and hardwood floors.  It is a beautiful building.  We look pretty good for being 100 years old.



This will be my 24th year at this school, and I really love it here.  We have the best school song anywhere.  It was written about ten years ago by Judi Brown, who was our art teacher at the time, and the students.  She worked with each class, so that all the students and staff had a hand in writing this song.  We don't have many assemblies, but when we do, we always sing it.





I can already tell that this is going to be a Turtley Awesome school year.


This shirt was worn by one of my girls.  I wish I had thought of this.  I think I'm going to have to add this caption to our classroom door.



No comments:

Post a Comment